Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Making Polymer Clay Crackle

I love the crackle effect on polymer clay.
There are many different techniques and tutorials on these techniques.  Some of the tutorials are free, others are not.
I prefer the free ones.
Pinterest has some great links to tutorials.
You can just google the
crackle effect 
and you will find many more links.

I wish I knew where I found the links for these two different crackle effects, but I don't.  They are not mine. They are effective.





Crackle effects #1 and #2.
This is so easy to do.  You need to condition your clay on the thickest setting of your pasta machine.
Once your clay is conditioned, fold your clay that was conditioned on the thickest setting and fold it over again.  Using metal leaf and a brayer or rolling pin, roll the metal leaf on the clay.  When the leaf is flattened on the clay, roll the clay through the pasta machine on the thickest setting.  The crackle effect is beautiful!

Crackle effects #2 and #3
Again, condition your polymer clay using the thickest setting of your pasta machine.  When your clay is conditioned, fold the clay over so you have a double thickness.  You will need acrylic paint for the next step.  You can use oils, but it takes much longer for the paints to dry.  I usually use my finger for this step, but you can use gloves.  I drip paints of different colors onto the clay.  I mix or not, and let it dry.  Be sure the paint is dry or you will have to clean your pasta machine.  When the clay is completely dry, and letting it rest overnight is not a bad idea, run the clay with the dry paint on it through the pasta machine.  You will achieve a crackle effect!  

See?  Easy Peasy!

No comments: